UTS-VNU JTIRC Postdoctoral Research Fellow | POSITION DESCRIPTION
UTS has a clear vision and strategy to be a leading university of technology recognised for global impact. It is Australia’s top young university according to both Times Higher Education and QS. UTS advances knowledge and learning through innovation, practice-oriented education programs, high impact research and excellent partnerships with industry, the professions and community. UTS is among the world’s best universities in Computer Science and Engineering, and leads Australia in research impact.
Vietnam National University is the largest comprehensive higher education and research centre in Vietnam. It was established to become a leading interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research university to contribute significantly to Vietnam’s industrialisation and modernisation. VNU University of Engineering and Technology (VNU-UET) is a member university under the VNU Hanoi umbrella. It focuses its research and education on four advanced areas of science technology: information and communication technology, electronics and automation, nanoscience and nanotechnology, and molecular biotechnology.
The UTS-VNU Joint Technology and Innovation Research Centre, launched in 2017, was the first partnership of its kind between Australia and Vietnam. It fosters excellence in research collaboration and technology transfer through PhD training, expert exchange programs and industry engagement.
More information can be found in the link below: https://www.uts.edu.au/node/270386/joint-research-centres-vietnam
Postdoctoral Research Fellows at JTIRC
We are now recruiting two Postdoc Research Fellows to work under the JTIRC in Hanoi.
Key focus areas (but not limited to):
- Wireless networking and communications
- Artificial intelligence
- Machine learning
- Data analytics
- Brain-computer interfaces
- Environmental engineering
These positions have a key role in providing academic, research and professional guidance and in developing and promoting research and industry engagement activities, which include:
- Carry out cutting-edge research in JTIRC areas of strength
- Establish effective research collaborations with both industrial and academic partners
- Prepare research funding proposals
- Secure industry funding for projects
- Publish papers and reports in highly-ranked journals and outlets
- Participate in and present at research seminars, conferences, and workshops.
- Co-supervision and administration of joint PhD students
- Administrative tasks associated with research projects
Key Performance Indicators include publications in high-quality outlets, successful research funding proposals, and industry engagement to secure funding for scholarships, projects, and executive training.
- PhD degree in a related discipline
- Research experience with a good record of outcomes, such as publications, IP generation, engagement with industry, and successful grants
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently, an ability to analyse and solve problems.
- Determination to overcome obstacles to achieve goals.
- Strong drive to achieve academic and real-world impact.
- Honest, hardworking, ability to work in a team.
- Awareness of context together with an ability to work with strong attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and organisational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Clear understanding of the need to document and to work systematically and reproducibly.
These appointments will be fixed-term continuing for 3 years with VNU-UET. The positions will have honorary affiliation to UTS Faculty of Engineering and IT. The monthly base salary is approximately AUD$1,500 plus annual flight allowances for travel to Sydney, as well as conference travel grants. The position is expected to provide high level supervision of research students in the JTIRC, and will also act as project leader for industry grants and projects.
The positions will report to the JTIRC co-directors with direct-line reporting to Associate Professor Xuan-Tu Tran, Head, Department of Science, Technology and International Relations, UET and dotted-line reporting Professor Eryk Dutkiewicz, Head of School, School of Electrical and Data Engineering, UTS.
UTS has a target for 40% of academic positions in STEMM to be filled by women by 2022. The JTIRCs are committed to this target and strongly support the career development of women in academia. We strongly encourage women to apply for these postdoctoral research fellow positions.
Career development opportunities
JTIRC research fellows who have a solid track record of publications will be recommended and supported by UTS to apply for ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) as well as UTS Chancellor’s Postdoctoral Research Fellowship.
The application package should include your CV, a cover letter, and at least two contacts for references.
If you are interested in applying for a postdoctoral position under the UTS-HCMUT JTIRC in Ho Chi Minh City, please contact HCMUT.